Digital Story

Completing this digital story has been such an emotional process for me. I had the most amazing time this month and can’t believe that it’s coming to an end. This time in Ireland has been a complete reflection for me, as my class at Saint Mary’s I truly took it all in and am so excited I got to take on much more than just a paper, but a final showcase that focused on pro-choice. I feel like I actually was able to make a difference. 
i think learning about feminist issues here in Ireland has been even more powerful especially with the pro-choice fight because its so real right now for the woman of Ireland. Within the American context I think that its still a fight due to our current political climate however, hearing about abortion putting women in jail here in Ireland was extremely problematic and sparked something inside of me. It helped me identify with my beliefs and why I think choice is so important. I will definitely continue to fight for the right for choice in America.
Before this course, I held opinions about issues but never fought for them. I was very private and didn't like discussing my beliefs with strangers. i now consider myself an activist and a rebel. After attending Catholic school for many many years, abortion wasn't something anyone spoke of or believed in. The role of the church in my life silenced me to an extent but I am excited I found my voice and found that I can share my opinion openly. As an artist I have definitely grown as well. I came to Ireland with my main practice being in landscape photography and never thought I would feel comfortable doing portrait work. However, after this experience I am more confident shooting portraits. 
I have learned so much from the Rebel City, but what stands out the most to me is just how much I leaned about the activist community there. I have never even really been as involved activism back in the states, so this was an amazing experience for me. Kathy D’Arcy and the Rebels for Choice group inspired me so much. I loved how Kathy was able to use her art to fight for something. I never though about art as being a form of activism but have leaned how political art can be and how important it is to analyze every piece.i want to find an organization back in the states to join and continue to fight for women’s rights!
One of the best parts of this entire trip has been getting able to spend so much time with a community of artists and contributing. For example, getting to work with O’Bheal was such a great time! I think it is so special to get to contribute to a community not only because you can personally see and help with growth but because you're giving your time to something you believe in and that matters to you! 

Digital Story:

Comments

Popular Posts